With the idea of saving the planet and lowering our carbon footprint something that is at the forefront of many peoples minds, LED lighting is becoming a more popular source of illuminating our homes. There are many reasons why people are opting for this style of lighting when thinking about the interior design of their homes, and one of these reasons is that the bulbs last much longer and are therefore more energy efficient.
Some of the benefits or using LED lighting within the home are;
- lower maintenance and cost.
- lower power consumption.
- less heat from the bulbs.
- tougher bulbs mean less chance of damage.
- less risk of fire.
How to use LED lighting within the home.
When starting out with LED lights, there may be some questions about how to use them. With the vast difference from the bulbs that have previously been used, it is a good idea to think about what type of LED bulb you are going to use, and the placement of the lighting around the home. Let’s take a look at some LED lighting tips to maximise the benefits of this lighting system.
- When selecting your bulb, it is important to think about the wattage. For darker rooms, whether that is because of a lack of natural light or because of darker coloured fittings and furnishings, it is a good idea to choose a slighter higher wattage such as a 100 watt bulb. If you are lighting a room which receives more sunlight, you will need to opt for a lower wattage, around 80 watts.
- In a bedroom, if you are using LED lighting in a bedside lamp, you may want to take the wattage as low as 40-50 watts. This is ideal for those times when lighting needs to be dimmer for things such as bedtime reading or when you are just waking up.
- LED lighting makes for a great illuminator of wall art. Placing a lighting fixture directly above a photograph or canvas which you would like to highlight can draw attention to the piece and makes an eye catching feature of the wall.
- If you are using a pendant light, ensure that there is a good space between the light and any work surfaces or furniture underneath, The recommended amount of space, for optimum safety is between 30-40 inches.
- LED lights in a bathroom are ideal for illuminating a mirrored area, especially in bathrooms which do not have a window. Mirrors can be lined with LED bulbs or one can be used above the mirror or mirrored wall.
- If you are using LED lighting in a home office, it is important to remember to use a light which is no brighter than your computer screen, this is to ensure that your eyes do not become tired and sore.
- There is the option to purchase coloured LED bulbs which can be used for mood lighting. Using a smart bulb will enable you to select a colour without the need for multiple bulbs. For example, using a bulb with a blue hue on a low setting (remember to check that the bulb can be dimmed) is ideal for evenings in front of the television.
- LED strip lighting is a creative way to light up areas which do not require huge amounts of light, for example under wall mounted cabinets in the kitchen or underneath handrails on stairways. This can create an ambience in a room and make it much more welcoming.
- LED strip lights can also be used behind a TV or computer screen, this is a good way to eliminate eye problems due to the brightness of the screen as the LED lighting counterbalances it.
There are many ways in which LED lighting can be used around the home to create a warm and welcoming space. Whilst the initial cost of installing your new LED lighting may be a little higher, the end results will last much longer and will save on energy costs due to the lower power consumption of this type of bulb.
Whilst there are many things to consider when it comes to interior design, lighting is one of the most important as it is responsible for creating the entire atmosphere of a room, and when done correctly can turn a simple space into a home. Contact us for more details on lighting your home.